Friday, April 20, 2007

Heli-Skiing Haines Alaska 2007

Look closely at the top of the mountain and you can see the red helicopter dropping off the "pro" skiers. In this case I think you could call them the insane skiers!!

Thankfully Skip sat this one out. This is one of the runs the "pros" took for the filming of upcoming extreme skiing movies!

Imagine landing a helicopter on this knife ridge.....imagine riding in a helicopter that is landing on this knife ridge!! The stomped down area at the bottom of the photo was the starting point for this run! CRAZY!!!



"Life Altering Experience!!!"




That is how Skip has described his time in Alaska. He had yet another "trip of a lifetime"! I've told him these annual "trips of a lifetime" are killing us!! After seeing these photos I'm so glad that he made it out alive. The run in the center of this photo is the one that almost got him. He says he's not sure he would call it an avalanche, which tells me I would. Can something even close to an avalanche be called anything else?!? As he jumped into the "chute" a small avalanche followed him down the hill, he panicked and tried to ski out of it sideways instead of going with it and it took his skis out from under him and "tomahawked" him down the hill.
We are waiting for the other guys to send us photos of Skip skiing. Until then these photos give us all an idea of his adventure. Thankfully he's home safe and sound!!!










No comments: