Sunday, September 28, 2008

Flag Football? Seriously!?!

Please see my last entry to catch you up on my ranting re: the safety of flag football. Now take a look at these photos......




Considering that Drew had been illegally held and choked by a much larger boy, he sustained this injury by quite an innocent way. He and a teammate were chasing down the receiver and they all ended up in a pile. Drew grabbed one flag and his teammate grabbed the other and one of the flags gave him this. I saw him grab his head and run off towards the coaches, but I figured he had bumped his head in the dog pile. I tried to remain calm and let the coaches handle it so he didn't get more upset. I sat there and watched the coaches look him over, head for the first aid kit and put an ice pack on his head. I'm still pretty calm at this point, but then one of his teammates comes running over to tell his mom about the kid with blood pouring out of his eye!! Now I'm up off the bleachers and headed towards them, just as Drew and the coach start heading my way. Drew is all sorts of upset as he says the coach told him he was done for the day. I take a look at his eye and immediately agree. Of course this was the game that Bobbi had come to see. She saw about 2 possessions before the game ending injury. We headed to the ER, he was so brave as they put 5 stitches in his eyelid. Skip was hunting and missed the whole thing! Why is it that this stuff always happens when Dad is out of cell range??

6 comments:

Just Us said...

Poor Drew. That looks so painful. You are a much calmer mother than me, I would of been running out on the field making a fool of myself. I hope he is feeling okay.

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

HOLY CRAP! How did you NOT tell me that when you were here?! Welp, that does it! Jake will NEVER play football now! He is SO afraid of getting hurt. I tell him to buck up, but well, it ain't gonna happen now! :)

Poor Drew! Give him a squeeze for me!

Jelina said...

NO WAY! You are absolutely right...had Skip been in town, that never would have happened. Its always like that for me, too. I also agree that flag football can be worse than tackle...at least with tackle, once they are down, they are down...not grabbing at eachother for a flag.

Wendy said...

Ouch! Good thing you are a nurse. Man, that is some serious football. I love how Drew was upset he was 'finished' for the day. He's got that Watts gene for competetitiveness I guess.

Norris Fam said...

At least you have connections at the hospital and can slip him an extra ibuprofen or two. One day (soon) he may be very proud of that injury :)

christa said...

Seriously, what the Hell, Jenn????? How many times do I have to explain the importance of bubble wrap to you!! This is a freaking closed head injury. If you don't do neuro checks q 2 hours I'm totally calling child protective services.

Now, do we need to go over car seats and weight requirements. . .I didn't think so!